Start a discussion

0 replies

How to install Exchange Server 2013 in an existing Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials network

Install Exchange Server 2013 in an existing Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials network

In this tutorial we will install Exchange Server 2013 instead of using Office 365. Though I am against using full-blown Exchange Server 2013 in any organization less then 150 mailboxes there are reasons you will need to do this anyway. The discussion on this subject is outside of the scope of this article. Please, use the forum and take part in our discussion ‘On premise Exchange Server compared to Office 365’.

Just to better understand how our network looks like I have made a little network drawing. Our network has a switch and a router. The router is also used as a DHCP server and offers also DNS functionality. The router forwards traffic on port 80 and 443 to the IP address of the Windows Server Essentials 2012R2 and on port 25 traffic is forwarded to the IP address of the Exchange Server 2013. I write ‘forwarded’ but depending on the device it could also mean ‘natted’ or in the case of a proper Firewall you would publish services to the Internet. How you configure your router/firewall is up to you.

This is a typical ‘one public IP address’ setup found in most small businesses. Normally you would need two public IP addresses to accomplish what we do but with the Application Request Routing app we are able to route traffic for ‘mail. server-essentials.net’ to the Exchange Server 2013. Traffic for ‘remote.server-essentials.net’ will still be served by the RWA applications on the Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2

Mariette Knap Mariette Knap
Published 02/15/2017 08:24
  • Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2
Add Comment
Last Activity 11/15/2018 06:24