Start a discussion

4 replies

How to migrate from SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

How to migrate from SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials This tutorial describes in depth the correct method to migrate an old SBS 2011 to a new Windows Server 2016 Essentials or to a Windows Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter with the Experience role installed. If you migrate to Standard or Datacenter you can ignore the part where the wizard pops up and wants to install the Windows Server Experience part because that does not happen in Standard or Datacenter.

Mariette Knap Mariette Knap
Published 06/13/2016 10:43
  • Migration
Add Comment
Mariette Knap

I am wondering why I do not see this when migrating from SBS 2003 to WSE 2016? You would expect that to happen also.

replied 01/18/2017 18:37
Dan Booth

I've just done my first SBS2011 to Essentials 2016 and what caught me out was SYSVOL replication.  The SBS2011 had previously been an upgrade from an earlier version of SBS and SYSVOL replication was still using FRS.  Windows Server 2016 requires DFS replication of SYSVOL.  You receive a warning during dcpromo that this is the case but I could not complete the FRS to DFS migration whilst the Essentials 2016 was a DC, I had to demote it, migrate from FRS to DFS and then run dcpromo once more.  Could do with a note in the migration guide to check this prior to even installing the new server maybe.

replied 01/18/2017 16:14
Mariette Knap

Technology Previews are not made to be used in production. It is good to play with and learn but do not use it in production. Nobody can help you if things go wrong.

replied 06/14/2016 09:20
Host

Hi Mariette, I am still not sure if it is a good thought to start or try in production the migration of the SBS 2011 from Hardware to a virtual WS 2016 Essential - my concerns are actually about the fact that there might be trouble to change from Technical Preview 5 to RTM, especially if the WS 2016 Essentials ist the single DC, CA, DNS & DHCP ... what do you think ...

Do you know if there is a possibility or best practice to get from a Technical Preview to RTM?

... is this the case where the secret hint can or should be used :-)

If your setup is virtualized and you create for your VM's one system disk and one user file disk you can very easily migrate a Domain Controller.

1. Move FSMO roles to the new VM,
  2. Mount the 'user file disk' to the new VM,
  3. Copy all shares from the registry of the old VM to the new VM and you are done.

replied 06/14/2016 08:40
Last Activity 11/11/2018 09:31