Start a discussion

1 replies

SSL wildcard configuration - Server 2012 R2 Essentials

Hi

I have a domain name and web site for our company hosted with an outside web hosting provider.  It is not one of providers listed in the Essentials server software.  The outside web site provider pointed the DNS record for remote.xoxoxo.com to our server.  We have a public IP address.

I originally configured Access Anywhere to use a self-signed certificate. 

Now:

New software we purchased uses web access and requires a valid SSL for remoting into it. I know Essentials is not a web server but the software can apparently run on it. Remoting in is NOT for public use..

Questions:

I have purchased a wildcard SSL. as i would like to create a couple of internal websites for diff purposes that can be remoted into. my local server

What do i configure now.. ?   I don't know what my csr should be containing... should it be my outside web hosting domain name or a MS Personalized?  I tried my outside web hosting name for my wildcard.. and it doesnt see it on the internet as the SSL godaddy one i bought but the one used by the web host company website.  I am assuming because that is the one the internet can see.. not my local one...

I don't know how i should be naming my sub-domains.. based on what??   A domain name i got for free from MS?  OR My web site hosted domain name since they already have one pointer created for remote.xoxoxo.com which they host so that it will remote into my local server

Do I leave the self-signed portion alone or use the wildcard SSL?

I need to configure my wildcard SSL and want to understand what I am doing.... and do it right. Every time i ask someone else.. ie. the new software provider.. or our web site provider.. or go daddy.. .they say we don't help for that..  I just want clarity as to what goes where and when

Thanks for any direction provided..

Cheryl Martin Cheryl Martin
Published 08/28/2018 01:59
  • Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2
  • SSL Certificate
Add Comment
Mariette Knap

You mention that you already own a wildcard certificate for your domain so there is no need to generate another csr. Is your software made for IIS and does it run in its own site in IIS?

replied 09/20/2018 06:31
Last Activity 09/20/2018 06:31