Start a discussion

15 replies
Solved

Windows Server 2016 Essentials - Anywhere Access Setup Error

This is the last step I need to complete to finish the migration from SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials. I'm still trying to get the Anywhere Access set up for Remote Access and VPN. After I run the Anywhere Access Wizard, I get an error that says "The Set up Anywhere Access wizard completed with errors.

I've tried restarting IIS, rerunning the Anywhere Access wizard, and rebooting and I get the same error. I did find an error in the System Event Viewer that shows up each time I run the wizard:

"The Diagnostic Service Host service failed to start due to the following error:  A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration."

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Donna Patton Donna Patton
Published 06/29/2017 19:53
  • Windows Server Essentials 2016
  • SBS 2003
  • Migration
  • Remote Web Access
Add Comment
Dan Brown

I've seen this wizard not work properly with some routers... in addition to needing ports 443 and 80 open for RDWeb, and 1723/4500 for VPN, the wizard wants UPnP enabled on the router. IF UPnP isn't enabled, there will be error messages, but everything will work properly. I usually only open port 443, disable UPnP, and the wizard errors about 80 being closed, but everything still works fine.

replied 08/31/2018 13:36
Mariette Knap
replied 11/30/2017 19:40
Mariette Knap
Nice to see it is fixed for you, Michael.
replied 11/15/2017 05:48
Michael Wagner

This worked for me too!!  (And I searched for solutions for many days also... :-/ )

replied 11/14/2017 19:42
Mariette Knap

Eric, can we work on this together? Would like to dive deep on this issue because it seems a bug to me. I need to connect with Teamviewer to that server and have a look. We can connect also with Skype if you wish.

replied 09/19/2017 15:28
User

Have tried everything in this thread. Nothing worked. New install on a brand new Dell server. Migration from SBS 2011 completed.  Only interested in the RWA for now.  Keep getting the VPN error even though I am not intested in, nor chose to setup the VPN option.  The link for troubleshooting VPN generated by the wizard is completely unhelpful. Any thoughts on this?

replied 09/19/2017 15:26
Stephen Titterington

I Had the same error. Ended up just checking RWA and it still came up with VPN error but the RWA worked ok and users logged in fine.

replied 08/14/2017 11:53
Gordon Currie

I also have an issue that looks just like Donna's. I can go through the wizard with no boxes checked - OK. I can check VPN and it succeeds. However, when I go through the wizard again with RWA, the wizard spends about 10-15 minutes 'setting up VPN' and then ends up with the same screenshot. I don't understand how if I check VPN it succeeds, but if I check ONLY RWA it fails with a VPN error AND a RWA error.

replied 08/14/2017 04:31
Steve Robinson

I'm not sure if I should start another thread, since this one appears to be solved, but since it is a similar issue to what I'm trying to solve, I thought I'd try here first.

I did try this:

I had that once and here is how I solved this:

1. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and uncheck VPN and RWA, reboot the server,
  2. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and check Remote Web Access, reboot the server,
  3. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and check VPN, all options are checked now.

This did not fix the issue for me. I still have the error Donna had without the VPN message. I believe this leads to the critical error I have in the Windows Dashboard under health settings that states, "

Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly. You must configure Remote Desktop Services to remotely connect to computers in your network". I am not 100% sure though. I can access "remotewebaccess", but I'm just trying to completely solve this. Like Sabastian, I'm not an IT pro, but I didn't have these issues with WSE2012R2.

Any ideas on what else I should be looking at? Thanks.

replied 07/22/2017 01:09
Mariette Knap

Sabastian,

Thanks for this. Donna's issue was more complicated. She had a custom installation DVD that had some languages loaded that were installed during the initial installation what caused the installation of the Essentials bits to fail without any warning. Very strange issue but I was able to resolve this issue after many hours of searching.

replied 07/14/2017 09:46
Sebastian Goss

Wow. God. I never thought that'd work. It did! I dug for 2 days through several forums, tried everything I could think of....this did the trick!

replied 07/13/2017 21:42
Sebastian Goss

Hi,

I am also experiencing the very same error on a clean WSE2016 installation (RDP issue only, not VPN). Worked fine before reinstallation. Tried a completely new clean install. Same error again. I can RDP into the server, I can access the web site, but I cannot RDP onto clients desktops as there seems to be a fault in RDP gateway services. I will gladly help with anything I can to get this sorted out.  (This is a Home server 2011 replacement and I am not an IT pro, just a home user with ambitions ;-)

I have searched the web and tried several stuff for 2 days now, but nowhere is a definitive solution to this. Or, at least I can't find it.

Edit: Correction, I actually CAN log into the servers Website and CAN RDP into my clients thru the gateway. I don't see any limitations in functionality, but this error message is really annoying.

replied 07/13/2017 18:39
Mariette Knap
OK, not good. I am currently working on something else so I cannot help you immediately. Can we connect with Teamviewer in the next days? What is your schedule?
replied 06/30/2017 14:11
Donna Patton

Hi Mariette,

No, this did not fix it.

1. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and uncheck VPN and RWA, reboot the server.I ran it with no check marks, no errors. Rebooted.
  2. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and check Remote Web Access, reboot the server.I ran it again with only RWA checked. 3 errors. 1.VPN was not configured successfully. 2. There is an error in your Web server settings. 3. There is an error in your Remote Desktop Services settings. Rebooted the server.
  4. I ran it again and checked VPN and left RWA. Same 3 errors. 3 errors. 1.VPN was not configured successfully. 2. There is an error in your Web server settings. 3. There is an error in your Remote Desktop Services settings.  Rebooted the server.
  5. I reran all of the steps again and have the same result.

We could get along without the VPN if we could get Remote Web Workplace running.

replied 06/30/2017 13:38
Mariette Knap

Hello Donna,

I had that once and here is how I solved this:

1. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and uncheck VPN and RWA, reboot the server,
  2. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and check Remote Web Access, reboot the server,

Did this fix it?

replied 06/30/2017 07:17
Last Activity 08/31/2018 13:36