Start a discussion

1 replies

Windows Server 2016 Essentials Role - Can't RDP from RWW Externally nor Internally

I'm at a loss as to what to look at based on this issue.

We can RDP internally to/from servers / workstations without any issues.   With this in mind somehow I believe the problem is related to the RDP Gateway but not sure if true.

When connecting to <domain>/remote and then selecting a computer to connect to the RDP option downloads and you are presented with the dialog box to connect and then entering in your password you are presented with the following error:

Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to.  Contact your network administrator for assistance.

Checking Application and System logs on both the server and destination computer does not show anything.

When attempting the connection internally via <server>/remote basically goes through the same process and result.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!!

Gerry

Gerry Wieczerza Gerry Wieczerza
Published 02/12/2019 00:45
  • Remote Web Access
  • Remote Desktop Services
Add Comment
Gerry Wieczerza

Update:

I'm not sure what made me think of even trying this but...

Connected remotely using a Windows 10 computer (all prior tests were from Windows 7) and was able to RDP to computers successfully.

Connected internally via <server>/remote from a Windows 10 computer and was able to RDP to computers successfully.

From this we know that mstsc.exe on Windows 10 is version 10 and on Windows 7 it's version 6.x.

Does anyone know what change we can make on Server 2016 (assuming that is where a fix needs to be applied) to allow the Windows 7 RDP client to connect?

Thanks again!

Gerry

replied 02/12/2019 01:09
Last Activity 02/12/2019 01:09